Quote from the "Son of a Surrogate" Blog

Quote from the "Son of a Surrogate" Blog

It looks to me like I was bought and sold. You can dress it up with as many pretty words as you want. You can wrap it up in a silk freaking scarf. You can pretend these are not your children. You can say it is a gift or you donated your egg to the IM. But the fact is that someone has contracted you to make a child, give up your parental rights and hand over your flesh and blood child. I dont care if you think I am not your child, what about what I think! Maybe I know I am your child.When you exchange something for money it is called a commodity.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Welcome to my blog :)


Hello I’m Jessica and I’m a product of surrogacy. The reason I’ve decided to start blogging about children who have been conceived either through surrogacy or sperm donations is because when I was trying to learn more about my own history, I was quite surprised to discover the amount of websites that can be found to promote agencies to assist parents in starting a family, websites which offer huge sums of money to donors of sperm, eggs, and wombs. However, there was a lack of information, resources or support for the children who have been created using the above mentioned techniques.

My quest for more information began when I was a teenager and knew I wasn’t getting told the truth about where I came from by the family that I was growing up with. My adopted mother is South Korean, and my biological father is American. They had attempted to convince me that I was biologically related to both of them. However, I later came to find out that my birth mom was Caucasian, therefore I did not have Asian genes and physically I knew that the bill of goods that they attempted to sell me wasn’t possibly true.

During my senior year of high school a medical professional who felt that I deserved to know the truth about where I came from, provided me with two pages of my medical records where my bio-dad and adopted mom let a doctor know that I was a product of a traditional surrogacy. This is when my world started to make a little bit more sense. This was when some of the secrecy and subterfuge was broken. This was also the beginning of a nine year search where I was lucky enough to find my birth mom and subsequently a huge family that I feel is my family more then the one that I grew up in.

A lot of children of surrogacy and sperm donation are not lucky enough to ever find out about their roots, they are considered lucky to be told the truth if they get told.

I am not here to condemn the people who have participated in this new way of starting families. (The sperm donors, egg donors, surrogates, or the people who started their families through this avenue.) My purpose here is to give a voice to those of us who have been brought into the world through these techniques, and to hopefully give people who are considering starting a family through these methods an ability to see what would be unforeseeable issues that can be present. I would love to see couples who are considering these methods to pause and ask themselves, is this really what is in the best interest of a child? I would love to see people push for adoption reform to allow the children who are already in this world a chance to be part of a family. I would love for prospective parents to see that if they choose surrogacy because of the genetic ties, the products of surrogacy still contend with some of the same issues that adopted children have, and how even with the genetic connection a parent may not be any closer to their child then if they had adopted.


Thanks for coming to check out my blog!


Jess

3 comments:

  1. Someone pointed out this blog to me in the midst of a discussion about surrogacy. As a parent of children through surrogacy, I just want to say that I am sorry the parents that raised you lied to you about where you came from. I pledge to always be honest to my kids about their roots. I will also strive to respect their opinions and feelings as they grow into adulthood. The only other thing I can do along the way is love them unconditionally and try to do my best as a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone my name is Jessica from Spain, i am here to share my story on how i conceived my baby. i have been married to my husband for years without no baby. i had problems with my in-laws about this, even my husband started to have new affairs aside our marriage. it was a very terrible thing to bear. i cried all the time , i became a laughing stock among my friends,i was now seen as always unhappy. after many infertility treatment and there is no way. i took it as i was born barren and i accepted every challenge that comes my way. i was even ready to pack out of my marital home and stay on my own because my husband was not given me any attention that i needed from him. i decided to focus on my job and try to live happy on my own.on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living baby-center i came across a story of a woman who Mallam Abudu helped to conceive a baby. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life.Mallam Abudu prepared a herbal medicine for me and instruct me how to use it and i went happily to my husband and we slept together over night and within 7days i took in, today i'm a proud mum. words will not be enough to explained what Mallam Abudu did for me. pregnancy medicine for me and i am a happy mother,i know there is someone in same condition and you feel there is no way. i urge you to contact Mallam Abudu, this is the contact email: mallamabuduspiritualhome@gmail.com .. whats App number +2349055637784

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for making the right choice by contacting Dr. Irosi who helped me in getting my ex back by casting a love spell on him. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr. Irosi to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr. Irosi because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr. Irosi on his Email Address [drirosisolutioncenter@gmail.com], call or whatsapp him via his contact +2348118829771 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr. Irosi for your great work.  

    ReplyDelete